You work out and sure enough you want that to show, but there is always someone bigger or fitter, right? Chances are, your system of reference is a little off.
But They Are All Bigger!
When you go to the gym, you meet guys who, well, go to the gym, too.
When you train at home, you are likely to join fitness communities where other guys hang out who lift heavy things and they post their stats and pictures.
You look at those dudes, some being this huge and strong, and you may feel like you are just a puny excuse for a male of our species.
In reality, you surrounded yourself with guys that are far from the norm. Your system of reference is off. To find out how you really stack up against the vast majority of men out there, check these stats. They represent the true averages, taken from the general male population:
|Stat||The Average Guy|
|Height||5’9″ (1.75 m)|
|Body Mass Index (BMI)||26.6 (25+ = overweight)|
|Biceps||13 inches (33 cm) flexed|
|Chest||40 inches (102 cm) inhaled|
|Back||16.2 inches (41.1 cm)|
|Waist||34 inches (86.3 cm)|
|Benchpress 1RM||160 lbs (72.5 kg)|
|Push-Ups For One Minute||27|
|Grip Strength||110 lbs (49.9 kg)|
|Time To Run 1 Mile||12 minutes, 17 seconds|
What this table doesn’t account for is how much fat the average upper arm carries at 13 inches and what those 27 push-ups really look like.
How Do You Stack Up?
88% of men don’t belong to a gym and I bet that of the other 12%, half has a gym membership and shows up there once every other new moon. I read that if every person who holds a gym membership showed up on a regular basis, gyms would each day have waiting lines around the block.
When you feel weak or too small compared to guys who are into muscle training and fitness like yourself, you in fact are comparing yourself to a special sample that is nothing but a tiny minority of the general population.
Now let me ask you: How do you really stack up?
Picture courtesy of David Mican.