A couple of days ago we discussed how an 18 year old high school student died from overdosing on caffeine powder. Now we already have the next death.
Caffeine, Once More
As much as I ended last week on a high note, the low this one starts.
And it was only this month that I wrote about the death from caffeine overdose of an 18-year-old over in Ohio.
In England, 25 year old mother of two Katie Goard was unhappy with her weight and popped some caffeine-based weight loss pills, sold to her as “fat metabolizers.”
Minutes later she started feeling unwell, vomited and went to bed. When her fiancée soon after checked on her, he found her choking and in wild convulsions. He immediately called an ambulance and administered CPR.
The medics made frantic attempts to save her life, but there was no combating the overdrive the caffeine had put her body into. At 11.30 pm she had taken the pills, by 1.25 am they had to pronounce her dead.
The Caffeine Wasn’t Even At Peak Level
The tragic incident happened in April and the local forensics team now reported the findings of the autopsy.
They had found 161 mg of caffeine in every liter of her blood, equal to about 54 cups of coffee.
This already is double the lethal amount, yet the pills had more in store. The coroners assume that the short time between ingestion and death kept the pills from reaching their full potential.
The assistant coroner noted that “maybe she consumed the tablets in the misguided belief that the amount she was taking would not harm her.”
Look Her In The Eye
A local newspaper published a picture of Katie, which for copyright reasons I can’t put here.
I encourage you to give it a glance. Looking that friendly young woman in the face I feel very sorry that we don’t get dangerous supplements under better control.
Picture courtesy of “Bruce“.