Here are 50 weight loss facts you need to keep in mind when trying to lose weight. Knowing them will make your road to success much easier.
50 Weight Loss Facts
1. You can lose weight with any diet.
2. But it will only work on the one you can keep up.
3. Obesity is the second most common cause of death after smoking.
4. You can’t spot-reduce fat.
5. The scale won’t tell you how much muscle and how much fat you have.
6. Which also means that being skinny doesn’t necessarily mean you are healthy.
7. Late-night eating won’t make you fat, overeating does.
8. There are no foods that burn more calories than they contain.
9. One pound of muscle only burns about 3 kcal more than 1 lb of fat.
10. Diet supplements do very little or nothing at all.
11. Most popular diets have no scientific backing.
12. You can gain muscle while losing weight.
13. You can also lose weight eating fast food.
14. The more you see of food high in calories, the more likely you are to eat it.
15. 0 g of fat in a food doesn’t mean it’s low in calories.
16. The same also goes for low-carb foods.
17. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be expensive.
18. The fat burning zone makes you burn more calories from fat, but fewer in total.
19. To lose 1 lb of body weight, you need to create a deficit of 3,500 kcal.
20. Most people who lost weight fast gain it back as they learned nothing about nutrition.
21. Your daily weight can fluctuate by as much as 4 lbs, without you having gained any fat.
22. Drinking a glass of water before a meal can make you eat less.
23. Herbal weight loss pills often aren’t herbal at all.
24. Bite-size candies can make you eat more.
25. Your body has no biologically pre-determined weight.
26. Sweating doesn’t mean you are losing fat, sweat is your body’s cooling system.
27. Your diet isn’t for nothing because you had a bad day.
28. You can gain weight even though you exercise.
29. 2/3 of the US population are overweight or obese.
30. Serving sizes on packagings have very little to do with how much you’ll really eat.
31. Most people underestimate the number of calories they consume.
32. Food advertising works on anyone, including you.
33. The Body Mass Index isn’t perfect, but it will give you a good idea.
34. You can get fat from organic food.
35. You can’t lose weight from yoga.
36. Muscle doesn’t turn to fat.
37. To keep lost weight off, you need to keep controlling it.
38. There is no starvation mode.
39. If you don’t sleep enough, you are likely to eat more.
40. Seeing food can make you hungry.
41. Even losing just a little weight is better than not losing any weight.
42. The pets of overweight people tend to be overweight too.
43. Only in 1% of people is obesity genetic.
44. The afterburn effect is very small.
45. If you are an adult, you can’t lose fat cells, you can only shrink them.
46. Muscle doesn’t weigh more than fat, it just has a higher density.
47. You can get a beer belly without drinking beer.
48. Just like you can get a muffin top without ever having eaten a muffin.
49. Snacks aren’t bad if they help you control calories.
50. To get toned, you need to decrease body fat and increase muscle mass.
Picture courtesy of “lululemon“.